Sudoku Help - Solution Hints
Here's a page from the extensive help system for Sudoku Dragon. It is available as a help
screen when running the program. To get the full picture Download our Sudoku Dragon
and see the screen in its proper context.
There often comes a time when solving a Sudoku puzzle that you can find no further square that you can see how to solve.
Sudoku Dragon comes to the rescue with a handy range of hints, ranging from a gentle suggestion to revealing the complete solution to the Sudoku puzzle.
Simply select the type of hint you would like and then press the Show button. The hint will be displayed briefly in the main grid with, when appropriate, an explanatory message.
It is accessed from a toolbar button, Game | Hint from the menu or the F9 key.
The hints available are as follows :
- Make sure that all the squares you have allocated so far is correct. This gives a Yes if they are OK or a No response if there is a problem with the allocations made to the squares.
- Checks all the Sudoku squares you have allocated so far are correct. This option also briefly reveals the individual squares that are incorrectly allocated.
- Shows information about the possibility of a symbol occurring in the current square. First select the symbol you want to check from the drop down list then press Show. The reasoning and the squares involved are highlighted in the main grid. The reasoning remains visible until you click on OK. (This hint uses the current level of possibility analysis you have selected.)
- Shows a square (if there is one) that should be able to be solved fairly simply. The square is briefly highlighted in the grid.
- Similarly shows a square (if there is one) that should be able to be solved fairly simply but this time gives a brief explanation of how it might be solved.
- You can use tentative possibilities to indicate the Sudoku possibilities you have determined for the square. (This hint uses the current level of possibility analysis you have selected.) You can check that the tentative possibilities that you have marked are correct. Any incorrect assumptions are highlighted in the grid. The check will not show 'missing' possibilities, only the ones you have marked. It will count as possibilities any number that is directly possible it will not consider a possibility that has been excluded due to 'exclusion rules' to be incorrect.
- Reveal the complete solution briefly in the main grid.
The hint display is kept visible until you close it by selecting Game | Hint or the F9 key again, press Close, press ESC key, click on the top right 'x' button in the caption or click on the hint tool in the toolbar.
Copyright © 2005-2013 Sudoku Dragon